Sunday, March 8, 2009

When Rain and Sun Teach in the Desert

"I drove through a peekaboo rainbow today. As a rare desert rain storm approached I saw a rainbow start to form, suddenly it was gone." These are words from my personal journal written on Saturday as I left the panhandle of Oklahoma. I had just entered New Mexico on my way to Capulin Volcano.

I was disappointed for I did not have my camera out. Then I crested a ridge and was surprised by the sudden return of the rainbow. I pulled over and snapped several pictures.

The full rainbow appeared and disappeared at a blink. Parts of the rainbow vanished and then sparkled. Both legs of the rainbow blinked on and off leaving the hump only and then supporting it to the earth again.

Curious, I turned around to glance at Sol and discovered the cause. At about 0930 the sun is low in the sky. Small clouds covered its face and then moved away. Each movement changed what appeared as the rainbow.

I see this as a gift and lesson to me from God. I hear Him saying, "Have patience the small clouds will appear and be blown away. All the elements of the rainbow remain including the light. The light will always be there; for, 'I am the light of the world.' "

There have been times over the last year when there was no rainbow, no promise of God to short circuit the grief process seemed real. The struggle is normal in loss but I had placed expectations to overcome grief on myself. Foolish, sure I admit it. There is more to reflect on in this but I know the lesson was for me.

1 comment:

  1. CPG,

    What beautiful pictures! So much to be seen in this country alone.

    Onward..........

    VM

    ReplyDelete