Sunday, March 15, 2009

baseball teaches:

That there is no success in giving up. Tony Pena, Jr. to the left had a great day. He has been working hard with the hitting coach and had a couple of hits and a walk. In the spring baseball teaches sometimes it is good to try easier.

If he can swing the sick, we have a better team.
If he can take some walks, we the defense gets stronger.
If Tony Jr. can.... then.... Ahh! Spring Training!



Luke looked very good. We are talking about the smoothest delivery I have ever seen him produce. The ball seem to suddenly accelerate and then dive. He seems well on his way to being the number three starter.




John Buck was right on several balls and then powered on over the wall. Baseball teaches that what a person has done in the past is the best indicator of what he will do in the future. Buck looks like a backup catch, historically.


Now is the time to enjoy a good swing. This is Mike Jacobs swinging easily and dropping the ball over the wall in center field. Look out below. Baseball teaches that we look into the details before we go to far. The homer was off Barry Zito -- a real disappointment for the Giants.

Mike Jacobs had a couple of good plays at first base. His reputation of having a brick for a glove did not show itself today. Note that baseball teaches us to play for more experience;what can not be seen in one play will show itself over the season.


So, if baseball teaches -- what have I learned?

Baseball teaches me to not force life. This is a difficult lesson for me. I have an innate drive to make life happen and yet I know that since Diane died I have forced life into directions that may not be best. I went back to work to soon. I cleaned out Dee's closet and gave away her clothes to early. I have created to much noise and to little reflection. I forced myself to visit patients when I had little to offer in hearing and objective care. Baseball has reminded me -- try easier, know my history and what success looked like, take coaching, and make the team better by working the plan.

Trust has never been my strong suit. Yet, I am certain I can trust my team and that if I do not force life I will be able to smile from the inside out. Thereby I will be a better team player. A hit looks the same in the box score whether it was a Texas blopper or a screaming line drive. Baseball teaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment