Friday, March 6, 2009

Things I saw today,
  • Yellow Brick Road
  • Dorothy Gale's House
  • Hooker Point
  • Santa Fe Trail Crossing the Cimaron River
  • Tumble weeds so numerous they seemed to attack the car
  • Open Spaces, three states at once
  • Roads with so much traffic that another car passed by every 20 minutes or so
  • Cactus, Yuka, and many other pointy plants
  • White Tail Deer
  • Black Mesa

Each day God seems to give me a new person to enjoy. I marvel at the amount of love there is available just for the enjoyment. To be sure more than one person has touched my life today. I went to see the Yellow Brick Road and Dorothy's house this morning. There is a gift shop close by and a woman named Joy who was most helpful in finding items for the grandchildren. While I was there Joy took the time to tell me of some of the places a local person might go. She mentioned Black Mesa, Oklahoma.

She explained that Black Mesa is near a little town, Kenton, she enjoyed going to because, "At the Mercantile they serve the best hamburgers." Now those of you who know me well know this was like setting a hook in a fish. Since I had planned to go to Clayton, NM this was just a short jog up the road to Kenton. More about Kenton later.

Joy gave me several suggestions and also informed me that the hotel at which I planned on staying was now a senior citizen meeting house. I went to Hooker, OK anyway and enjoyed looking the town over. Then on up the trail.

Out of Boise City, OK the road heads north then takes a left and for the next 60 miles it is arrow straight. After the town square there is a 90 degree turn to the north and with the wind at my back gas mileage was great.

My next stop was in Black Mesa State Park where I spent the afternoon walking the canyons. The ranger was kind enough to point me in the right direction and after a mile or so I was overlooking Lake Etling. Now I have seen lakes and I have seen mud holes. Lake Etling was closer to the latter rather than the former. And then I turned around. The wind was hollowing across the mesa ridge, blowing directly into my face. It was strong enough that when I tilted my head back a little and opened my mouth the wind forced its way into my lungs. In that moment the prayer of my heart was, "God be like this wind to me, fill me, fill me to more than I can hold. Puff into my spiritual lungs more life, more love and Your holy presence. I stood there enraptured for many minutes and knew God was answering.

4.4 miles down the road is Kenton, OK -- population 17. I stopped at the Mercantile of which Joy spoke. This was wonderful. I walked inside and was asked by a girl of 10 years old what I might need and could she help. I know she was 10 because in seconds a boy walked up and stated flatly, "I am Conner and I'm 5. My sister Bailey is 10." I explained to Bailey that I had not eaten and it is 1600 hours. She was trying to decide what that ment when her Nana came in. I ordered a hamberger and Bailey affirmed that is her favorite and I made a good choice.

I made a great choise! Bailey and Conner sat with me, at my invitation and Nana's approval. Bailey told me about life in Kenton vs. Denver where they had lived previously. After eating Bailey and Conner shared their lives and made me laugh. I got so tickled I was in pain. During this Bailey mentioned friends who have a Bed and Breakfast. So on the recommendation of a 10 year old I am snuggggggly warped up in a cozy family atmophere in Kenton, OK at the Black Mesa B&B.

As for love, before I left the Merc Bailey and Conner both ran, jumped into my arms and gave me a hug. I am blessed.

(No pictures today due to slow upload speed. I'll catch up tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment