Sunday, March 29, 2009


Today's story comes from the far Northeast corner of New Mexico just outside of Clayton. As I drove toward the rising sun the oddity of snow covered cactus struck me. So, it was picture time.

I pulled well off the road into the shallow snow and grabbed the camera. Walking back several hundred feet I saw the picture that you see here:

After snapping the picture I walked South on the road in the direction of town. As I walked a driver in a pickup pulled up beside me and asked, "Trouble?"

I realized he had stopped because he saw my car off the side of the road and that I was walking to town. I smiled and held up the camera and stated, "Just taking some pictures." He spoke to me in Spanish and I guessed he spoke little English so I pointed to the camera and said, "No problemo." Waving and smiling he went on driving.

I found a dead coyote in the snow. (Yes I took a picture, it is to gross for publication here.) It was partially eaten and there were wallows dished out in the snow where some animal family or pack had been eating. As soon as that picture was taken a small S-10 type pickup came to a stop on the road bed. Windows were rolled down and a couple spoke at the same time, "Car slide off the road? Need some help?" I thanked them for stopping and told the story of the unusual snow drifts and cacti combination. They replied, "Oh, we see that all the time. Good luck." I turned again to the pictures waiting to be captured.

Click, Click, Click. Then I discovered a truck at a distance was slowing. Being somewhat flippant I decided to get in the first word. So, as soon as the window started down, I turned and said, "High is there anything I can do to help you? Are you having a problem? Need directions?"

The man behind the wheel caught the smile in my voice and the twinkle in my eye and then he replied, "No, just carin' for my neighbor."

I looked to heaven a said out loud, "Lord, I got the message." We talked for a few minutes about the blizzard that went through the area the previous day and the number of stranded people and the fact that most people in this part of the world know what it is like to need a pull, push or a helping hand.

When I got back in my car, I heard, "Who is my neighbor?" Followed by, "No, just carin' for my neighbor" This went on for the next 50 miles and I rejoiced that the last driver was my neighbor. His words about the blizzard had made my flip manner seem small and reminded of the need I have for people to love and be loved by. I felt touched by kindness and blessed to know people do care for this stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment